Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Portugal Masters; Grand Slam

The European Tour stays in Iberia this week, as it heads to the Portugal Masters at the Oceanico Victoria Course.
Once again, there's a stellar line-up on the way, with six of Europe's defeated Ryder Cup men teeing up on Thursday.
Pre-tournament favourite, Robert Karlsson, is looking for a chance to extend his lead at the top of the Order of Merit, and force Padraig Harrington into needing a win at Valderrama. It's difficult to see him being beaten, I must say. He's not the sort of guy that gets tired too easily, he takes his wins in his stride, and he likes the event, having finished 2nd here last year. Don't be surprised to see him take his third title on the trot on Sunday evening.
 
However, Ross Fisher and Martin Kaymer, the men he beat in the playoff at St. Andrew's are both here as well, Fisher after a week off and Kaymer continuing a run of three weeks play. They both had top 10s here last year as well, and will be looking to ensure a high finish in the Order of Merit, as well as a bit of revenge for the near miss at the Dunhill.

Aside from these three guys, I fancy Westwood. I reckon he's finally got a bit of energy back after a week off last week, he had a top 5 finish here last year, and, let's face it, after the year he's had, who's going to say he won't get a win before it finishes? He's still in the Order of Merit race, but a win here is pretty vital to keep his hopes alive, as it is for Miguel Angel as well, as you can bet Karlsson will be up there as well.

McDowell, Wilson, and Soren Hansen are the other Ryder Cuppers appearing here this week, all trying to consolidate their position inside the top 10 in the OM. Wilson's the only player to play in a Ryder Cup without a tournament win, but after the year he's had I can't see that duck lasting much longer. He's another guy who's been a bit tired since the Ryder Cup, but if he's got a bit of energy back I expect him to be in the mix come the back nine on Sunday.

Just a brief look at Bermuda, where the Grand Slam is being played. Harrington and Furyk are both -2 after the 1st of 2 rounds, while Goosen is on level par, and Immelman's shot himself out of it with a +6 76. It's not the biggest tournament on my radar, but I'd like to see Padraig pick it up, and I think he'll do enough to edge out Furyk.

The PGA Tour heads to Vegas this week, and I'm not even going to go into any detail on this. I think Hunter Mahan will win - he's had a good season, a great Ryder Cup, and he'll be licking his chops now regular tournament play is back.

Once again, I just want to send my best to Seve. I understand there was a biopsy yesterday, but I still haven't heard any more news. 

Take care.

No comments: